Thursday, August 16, 2018

In Defence of Paying for Tinder Gold



If I had a pound for every time someone laughs at me when I tell them I pay for Tinder, I would be easily affording my bi-weekly manicure addiction, with change left over. Honestly, as soon as I mention that I pay a monthly subscription in a bid to find love (obvs being dramatic here), I get branded a saddo or desperate, which couldn't be further from the truth.




PLEASE, STOP PAYING FOR DATING APPS. This was the headline VICE used in one of their most recent articles on Snapchat and my golly did it hit a nerve. If anything is desperate it's that headline. I've been paying for Tinder Gold for pretty much the whole time I've had it, let's say couple of months (but you and I know it's been a year, at least), and I genuinely believe it's money well spent.

I can't claim that it's given me more dates, if anything maybe less - because I've realised I'm quite fussy - but what it does give me is more choice, more control and more time.

With Tinder Gold, I can see instantly who has liked me. This means I don't have to waste time swiping right and hoping the person in the picture has done the same for me (no mini heartbreaks, woo!). Instead, I get a glorious library of potentials who have already shown their interest in me. I basically get the pick of the pack, which is not only a confidence boost but also a time-saver (I've got that bi-weekly manicure to get, hun, no time for swiping).

Of course, just because they've swiped doesn't mean that, if I decide to swipe for them too and we match, something is guaranteed to happen - hence why I don't believe it generates more dates as a given - but who cares; no love lost and no time lost.

There are features that come with Tinder Gold that I don't use, so okay, the money isn't all being well spent, but if I want to, I have unlimited swipe rights, 5 Super Likes to use on unwitting potentials every. single. day (pun not intended, but it's a pretty good one, right?), the ability to rewind if I swipe left accidentally (oops), one Boost a month if I'm feeling extra needy and more control over the people who can find me.

Perhaps the only thing I can say in agreement with not paying for dating apps, is that I point blank refuse to pay for more than one month at a time. There are packages designed to save you money, but I feel like if I resign myself to paying for 6 months+ up front, it's like a self fulfilling prophecy of 6 loveless months. I take it one month at a time, and that works for me.

Of course there are many ways to improve your profile and chances for free (more on this soon), and I'm not encouraging anyone to go out and spend their wages on a dating app, but there are pros and cons for every side, and throwing £7 a month at it works for me.

Essentially, there is no shame in paying for a dating app if the features it offers work for you. Heck, even if you are paying just to match with people worldwide for the lolz or to get unlimited swipe rights because you're looking for your next shag, and quickly, you do you boo and don't be shamed into changing your ways.

Bx
The Boy Free Girl




Credit: photo by rawpixel.com from Pexels

Post a Comment